Check out this webpage.
The key to these pickles is to dry saute your chanterelles first. You clean your ‘shrooms, cut them into large pieces (leave small mushrooms whole) and put them into a hot frying pan dry. Shake them around as they heat and soon the mushrooms will give up their water. Doing that helps both the flavor of the mushroom and their ability to absorb the vinegar. If you don’t want to can these mushrooms, they will be perfectly fine in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chanterelles or other mushrooms
- 2 cups white wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
Get your canning gear ready and a large pot of water hot. Clean your mushrooms of any dirt, mold or wet spots. Cut large ones in half and keep small chanterelles whole.
Dry saute the mushrooms in a large frying pan. When they give up their water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt on them, along with the thyme. Once the chanterelles have given up most of their water, pour over the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Fish out the mushrooms and pack firmly into jars, leaving at least 1/2 inch headspace. Make sure each jar gets a bay leaf and some peppercorns.
Ladle in the cooking liquid. Make sure it covers the mushrooms. Add more white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar to top off if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
This is Pholiota aurivella, sometimes called Pholiota limonella, which looks just like this only the spore sizes are different. They grow on conifers around here in the fall and their shiny golden caps can be see from far away as they climb up the tree snags. Pholiotas have brown spores, less rusty colored than Cortinarius species and grow directly out of wood, but can easily confused with Corts due to the disappearing cobwebby veil. This is not edible, just beautiful!
Nest is a shot of Julie’s pickled Chanterelles. One way to prep when you have just to many!
My apologies to whoever did this lovely collage of mushrooms. My friend cut this out of a magazine and gave it to me, then forgot which magazine it was. I can’t give credit, but I wanted to share this anyway. If you know the artist or magazine, please let me know so I can acknowledge their work. – Update: This beautiful work is done by Jill Bliss!
I have received several emails about this mushroom and we found several yesterday on a field trip. Because it’s favorite host is pine, we find it in Central Oregon each mushroom season and the mushroom lasts a long time. It can grow to be over a foot in diameter! Sometimes called the Giant Sawgill, though I have never heard this. I learned it as Lentinus ponderosus, but they changed it to Neolentinus because the brown rot it causes in pines is not white like Lentinus species. With that in mind, it isn’t a good candidate for your compost pile. As an edible, it is tough and just okay, in my opinion, though some sites online say the young specimens are quite good. I do know that you need to slice it very very thin. Maybe my mushroom was too old.
Julie Hamilton worked many hours on this tri-fold brochure for dog owners to have at home. Check you yard and property for these mushrooms that come up most commonly in the spring in Central Oregon. They grow in my yard in SE Bend every year so I know that there are others. The folks in LaPine have large fruitings of Amanita aprica most springs, so do diligence and frequently check, then dispose of the mushrooms in the trash, NOT the compost!
If we can save one dog’s life or a trip to the vet, then it is all worth the effort. Every year we get calls to identify mushrooms that are poisoning animals.
No, this is not a morel.
These mushrooms come up in people’s gardens in the spring. They emerge from a purple fuzzy egg into a phallic form that has a sticky green spore mass oozing at the top. Most stinkhorns are putrid, but this one just smells strange. I have never seen them washed, but Marianne thought they might be morels and I can see the resemblance, but NO! I have read that they purple eggs are edible, but you go feat them first and post how they taste! Fascinating mushroom!